As you look forward to the new year, this is the perfect time to assess your oral hygiene routine, and make any tweaks necessary. Our Glendale dentists are here with some tips on how to get the most out of your at-home oral hygiene routine, and benefit from professional treatments.
First, let’s cover the basics: the American Dental Association recommends that dental patients brush their teeth morning and night and floss every night. If you are struggling with existing oral health problems, your dentist may recommend that you adopt a different routine.
Here are some things to focus on to ensure that you’re brushing correctly:
· Move your toothbrush in small circular motions across the flat areas of your smile
· Do not use a toothbrush that has bristles that are too firm, as this can lead to enamel damage over time
· Brush your smile for at least two minutes every time that you brush—it is better to brush gently for a sustained period time than to apply a lot of pressure over a shorter period of time
· At night, try flossing right before you brush your teeth—this allows you to dislodge hard-to-reach-plaque by flossing and then promptly brush it away
· Make sure that you are replacing your toothbrush every three months or so, as well as after an illness—your toothbrush can harbor a surprising number of bacteria
Now is also the time to call your dentist and schedule your professional dental cleanings for the year. Again, the general recommendation from the ADA is that dental patients of all ages complete professional cleanings every six months. These cleanings are critical for removing accumulated plaque and allowing our team to assess the state of your smile.