Thoroughly cleaning your smile every day will help you minimize the buildup of bacterial plaque and tartar on your teeth and gums. Our Glendale dentists are here to help you make the most of this daily routine. With just a few tweaks, you can take your daily oral hygiene from so-so to superb.
Because we are talking specifically about brushing, let’s start by talking about choosing the right tool for the job. When picking out a toothbrush:
- Choose one with soft bristles (unless your dentist recommends a firmer bristle)
- Consider the head of the toothbrush—it should be small enough to reach your back molars
- Talk to your dentist about whether you might benefit from electric brush or a Waterpik
- Make sure that you are swapping your brush for a new one on a fairly regular basis (every few months)
Once you have the right tools for the job, you want to review the technique that you are using to clean your smile:
- Brush for about two minutes every morning and every night before bed
- Move your toothbrush in small circular motions to “buff away” plaque and dental debris
- Apply gentle pressures the whole time; when you brush your smile too vigorously you may end up thinning your dental enamel and causing gum tissue to recede
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly—with water or a mouth rinse—to clear away any last bits of plaque
When you take the time to optimize your daily oral hygiene routine, you help your smile to stay healthy and attractive for years to come. Remember, no one knows your smile better than you do; if you have questions about your personal oral hygiene routine please reach out to our Glendale dentists to get more information and support.